Jewellery is often an investment and, for many people, has a great sentimental value attached to the pieces. Therefore, it is important to take care of your jewellery to make sure they look their best for years to come. Follow our guide and take care of your jewellery with confidence.
Here are a few tips on some of the things you can do to keep it in great shape:
- - Take your jewellery off if you're involved in any activity which could scratch, knock or damage it. If in any doubt, take it off and keep it safe.
- - Take it off when you go to bed.
- - Keep it well away from chemicals, especially chlorine.
- - Bathe and apply any lotions or perfumes before you put your jewellery on. Organic gemstones like pearls and opals are particularly vulnerable to acids, even perspiration.
- - Store it separately, ideally in a soft-lined box or case, so that your favourite pieces don't tangle, rub or scratch one another. Pearls in particular should be kept separately as they are easily scratched by hard gemstones.
- - Make sure chains and necklaces are fastened when storing to avoid tangling.
- - Remove jewellery while cooking and cleaning.
- - When storing jewellery, please keep it away from sunlight, excessive heat or damp conditions.